Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cleaning The Studio For the Studio Tour

Brad Ford Smith  White Rock Lake Artists Studio Tour
Cleaning is a lot like making art, there is always a point, despite all the hard work, when it just looks like crap. That's when you keep pushing, make some decisions, make some changes and then things fall together. Almost like you knew what the hell you were doing from the very beginning.

I am participating in the White Rock Lake Artists Studio Tour this year, that's why I'm cleaning up my studio. It has nothing to do with the fact that the studio has become a pigpen. There's something comfy about dust bunnies, old news papers and clusters of dirty coffee cups. It's like I never moved out of my collage dormitory. Well... now that I think about that dorm room, it was pretty disgusting and now my studio is a pigsty!

So this is my studio after a whole day of cleaning. It looks pretty bad. One thing that always throws me is that in order to clean my studio I also end up cleaning the shed, the kitchen, the office and the living room. It's not just a matter of putting away a few odd tools. There's also piles of books, at least one load of dirty dishes, shoes, furniture, nicknacks, and why the hell is this Christmas wrapping paper doing out?!

Once everything is cleaned and put away I'll start pulling out stacks of artwork and sorting through what I want to show during the tour.

The studio tour is Saturday and Sunday Oct 12th and 13th from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. There are 45 studios and 5 art centers on the free self guided tour. All are based around White Rock Lake. You could hit most of them in one day on your bicycle!

Here's a link to the MAP

Hope you can drop by, Brad

No comments: